Meeting Recap: Anxiety in Elementary
Monday, November 21, 2022
Anxiety in elementary school … What does it look like? How can parents and caregivers support children at home? Who can help at school? Where to start??
At our SEPAC SOMA community meeting on November 21, 2022, SOMSD Social Workers Arelis Tapia-Vargas and Marilu Gregory shared valuable information on how to help not only kids with IEPs and 504s but any K-5 student who may be struggling.
- “Anxiety in Elementary” Slide Presentation
- Suggested resources from the presentation:
○ Child Mind Institute – Anxiety Disorders Center
○ Child Mind Institute – Quick Guide to Anxiety in Children
○ Child Mind Institute – What to Do (and Not Do) When Children Are Anxious
○ Child Mind Institute – Thinking Errors
○ Rapee, R.M., Spence, S.H., Cobham, V., & Wignall, A. (2008) Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents, Second Edition
○ Huebner, Dawn (2008) What to Do When You Worry Too Much
- SOMSD Social Work Intern Program (Elementary Grades)
- SOMSD Special Services Overview (a comprehensive presentation by Susie Budine, October 2022) – for more detailed info about Tiered Supports and Intervention & Referral Services (I&RS), skip to 6:20
- NJ Children’s System of Care/PerformCare Flyer (English/Spanish)
- PerformCare Fact Sheet (by SEPAC SOMA, January 2022)